Saturday, April 28, 2007

Day 7: En route to Luxor

Waking up at 6:45am, I wake to realize our felucca had started sailing... luckily with us on it.. and even luckier that I didn't need to pee! Our first stop was the temple of Kom Ombu, which had a duality approach going on. One side of it was Roman, the other side was Egyptian. Also got to see a mummified crocodile. The temples are now all starting to look the same... if only I knew hieroglyphics and know more about Egyptian history!

After the first temple, we went to the 2nd temple called Edfu temple. Nothing much interesting there (probably because I am all templed out... haha).

So 2 temples and 2 hours later, we arrive in Luxor. At Luxor, I had falafel for lunch and then went to an Egyptian supermarket. The highlight was them giving me Halloween candy (chiclets) for change... Apparently this was a common thing, but it was funny nevertheless...

Also I now have drank 5 different brands of bottled water. These include:
Barak, Aquafina, Nestle, Daisyan, Heyatt.
Others include (as the days went on):
Nahl (Day 9), Schweppes (Day 10)

At nite, went to see the Luxor marketplace. I got annoyed with some shop selling guy cuz he kept touching my shoulder after I told him not to touch me. Since he cont'd, and knowing it will start a ruckus, I put my hand on his shoulder and gently pushed him HAHA! Then he goes how I shouldn't touch him in english blah blah blah and some Egyptian guys from other stores came up to me, but having shoved that annoying shop guy, I was satisfied and walked away with that guy just standing there. Yes yes, I could've gotten shot, but oh well, I am trying new strategies to avoid annoying hasslers. So far I've got
1) Ignore them and act like I dont know english
2) Tell them I will buy from them if they guess where I come from (they always think I am Japanese or Korean)
3) Smile and walk away
4) Tell them I am from some weird country (like Cambodia) when they ask where you are from
5) Pick an item in the store and tell them you will buy it for a ridicously low price (like 1 EGP)
6) Say no (doesn't work)

Tonite's new food:
Oum Ali = pastry made in the form of layers, with top layer consisting of coconut flakes and raisins (10 EGP)
Goubabash = honey cake-like thing (4 EGP)
Pigeon = Pigeon stuffed with rice (15 EGP)

Another thing about Luxor, the weather is sooo freaking hot that it takes about 2 hours for the weather completely dry our laundry. When you got Luxor, who needs a dryer???

No comments: